Monday, March 22, 2010

How can we improve?

Who/what are the negative influences impacting obesity?
What are some positive ways to improve adolescent eating habits?
Who/what has the most impact on teens and their eating habits?

In my research paper I will answer all of these questions and search for sources accordingly. The most recent article I've picked up is called

"Improving adolescent eating habits and prevention of child obesity: Are we neglecting the crucial role of parents?" - Jennifer A. O'Dea

This article helps me answer question 3. I believe that parents have the most impact on their children and their eating habits. They ultimately provide the food within the house, and monitor what their child eats. If a parent works often and has multiple responsibilities, he/she may resort to fast food often. I also like this article because O'Dea stresses the fact that adolescents are growing. Their bodies haven't reached a mature, stagnant state, therefore they need nutrients -- vitamins and minerals! Nutritents allow for optimal growth, while unhealthy eating habits potentially lead to diseases related to an insufficient amount of nutrients within the body. O'Dea says that focusing on the benefits of healthy eating in educating teenagers is more effective than focusing on the negative factors.

I could use this article to expand on question 3, and I could also use this article to showcase positive ways to educate adolescents.

1 comment:

  1. More good stuff, Felicia. I love all of the pictures you've posted on your blog, too. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete