Sunday, March 21, 2010

Hmmm..

So at first I thought my focus would be on parents and their influence on adolescents, but I think I may expand to all of the influences teens face when it comes to their eating habits.

I found another article that focuses on the genetics of the issue.

"Obesity in young Europeans: genetic and environmental influences"
by : JA Martinez

I feel like this is a good source because there is a common misconception that genetics will ultimately decide whether or not one is overweight. This is true only to an extent. Yes, genetics decide who is more likely to store fat and where fat is stored, but if one partakes in a healthy lifestyle and exercises regularly they avoid being overweight and all of the consequences that are to follow. I could also use this source to provide evidence that environmental factors affect how often you eat and how much exercise you get - occupation, school, work, food availability.

1 comment: