Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Brososke's: Prove Your Case

Brososke created an effective analogy for students to use when writing their research paper. He asserts that students should compare it to a lawyer and his/her court case.
  • First you must frame your case (develop your thesis)
  • Second you must search for evidence to defend your thesis (sources)
  • Third, present your evidence (write your paper)
  • Lastly, close your argument (conclusion of your paper)

This analogy is considerably different than the shopping cart analogy provided in class :) However, I don't feel as if I've been given any new information. I do agree with Brososke when he says that students should gather as many sources as possible - the more evidence you have, the more to report. So I plan on researching diligently to make sure I meet the paper guidelines. On another note, I think Brososke should have mentioned that your research paper shouldn't just be research compiled together. The "evidence" that you are searching for should merely stand to support your OPINION - which, of course, is your thesis. I'm sure he clarified this in class when proposing his analogy to his students, but for some it may be unclear. I know it was for me at the beginning of the semester.

1 comment: